Saturday, September 17, 2011

Thursday and Friday @ TechEd 2011

What can I say? The last two days of TechEd completely blew me away!

I started off by seeing a demo of the latest version of NetWeaver Identity management (7.2). Not even sure where to start! Role and Privilege Contexts, more on RESTful interfaces, increased dispatcher tuning, additional event tasks! Wow, I can't believe how much more powerful this application has become!

The Context concept is fully integrated into NW IDM 7.2.  Adding a context layer when working with NW IDM Roles and Privileges is going to greatly simplify management of these objects.  I'm looking forward to reading and learning more about them as we begin to determine best practices.  I know this is going to become a large part of my toolkit when planning new deployments.

Troubleshooting IDM has always been a challenge, however after learning about the new tracing functionality and the new script debugger, I think some of my headaches will start to go away.  I'll be blogging more about these features in the near future.

The presentation on IDM workflows was very interesting.  I was pleased to see that the Development Team continues to simplify workflow approvals in general and Pending Value Objects in particular.

Finally I attended a fantastic presentation on how SAP is using IDM and other Identity and Access Management technologies internally. This was an amazing insight into how a company manages several million users and objects in a live setting.

I can't wait to get my hands on the product.  Rumor has it that 7.2 is very close to release, hopefully early in the 4th quarter of this year.  

1 comment:

Chris Foley said...

I forwarded a link to this post to Paul Rostagno, @saprunsidm on Twitter, who ran the "fantastic presentation" you mentioned. He is sitting just a few feet from me now and I'm one of the developers on that project.

Enjoy your blog and wish there were more like it!