Monday, August 11, 2008

Managing your identity (at least in alpha)

Almost as soon as I posted my last link I saw an article about chi.mp, which although in alpha seems to be moving in the direction I was thinking about. According to the chi.mp website:

Chi.mp is building a flexible, permanent home for your online identity on your own domain. You own and are in control of the facets of your digital life, not any one service provider. One place for your profile, your contacts & content, where you have control over who gets to see what.
It will be interesting to see what the eventual model for this service is. Will it strictly be a retail model or will it also be good for all aspects of managing one's identity?

Another thing I wonder about here is where my data sits? Is it somewhere in the "cloud"? How is authorization and authentication to be done? Essentially, how will I control where my data goes and who sees it? This all seems like some pretty ambitious stuff. I'll be keeping tabs on their development.

For more information on what the chi.mp folks are thinking about, visit their blog.

No comments: