Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Configuring Oracle and Lessons Learned

I've been in the process of working with Service Pack 2 Patch 1 running under Oracle 10g.

Strangely enough this was the first time I had ever made a serious attempt at running under Oracle. All professional and internal builds that I have ever done with NW IDM (and MIC before it) have always run under MS SQL Server. So I proceeded to jump right in and do the install. Afterall, how different could it be? It's a database that I've installed before for other applications and an application that I've installed hundreds, if not thousands of times. Little did I know...

During the process I learned quite a few things which may or may not be helpful to others configuring NW IDM under Oracle for the first time:

1. Read all of the installation documents supplied by SAP. This would have saved me a lot of headaches and about 6 hours of troubleshooting, not to mention 3 uninstall/reinstalls.

2. When installing Oracle 10g make sure that the OS user that is used to start up the database instance has the Log on as a Batch Job Local Policy Setting.

3. When configuring the ADO connections (Runtime Console) and make sure that you use the Oracle Provider for OLE DB.

4. When configuring the Java Runtime JDBC conneection make sure that you're using the odbc5.jar and that you're using the corresponding ODBC Thin Driver when setting up the JDBC RT Connection string.

5. See #1. Both points 3 and 4 were covered in the SAP install documention.

So now I appear to have a working, but empty IDM configuration. I've got running displatchers and a working Web UI. It's good to see everything up and running, and most importanly, I've learned a few lessons along the way. I've seldom had an internal, training or production install where I did not learn something, and these were ones I won't soon forget.

Next up... Installing Virtual Directory Server.

No comments: