Friday, January 13, 2012

Cutting the Gordian Provisioning Knot

I mentioned in a previous posting that SAP NetWeaver Identity Management has been called too complicated. I've even heard some people referring to it as the Gordian knot of IT Security. Well, anyone can "hack" through the knot, but smart people find a way to untangle it.

New versions of the product don't make this any easier, however there is a resource that is often overlooked. The SAP IDM team has created several fantastic tutorials that talk about many of challenges that we face on a daily basis.

I've found that with the release of 7.2, referring to the documentation in general and the tutorials in particular has been most helpful. I recently had an issue with Role and Privilege assignment that was driving me nuts until I looked at the new documentation. Along the way I learned some new things about Pending Values, the UI and of course, about how Privileges are assigned in IDM under the new release.

So remember, when the going gets tough, the tough read documentation and tutorials!

No comments: