Tuesday, July 26, 2011

More from the JAR

An ugly issue came up not too long ago on my project.  We were seeing the error messages referencing an mxmc_admin based connection string as mentioned in Too Much in the JAR

So, I said to myself, I know how to deal with this, and proceeded to show off my knowledge by going to the MMC Console, selecting Tools/Option and selected the JAVA tab and found… nothing wrong. Only one extension present, JDBC driver JAR was right.  Felt the virtual pie in the face.

So we started looking.  I did insist that the root of the issue was a JAVA conflict and no one on the team had any real reason to doubt me.

Eventually we found the issue, and it was indeed related to JAVA.  It seemed that there were multiple JDBC drivers installed and like the JARs, this can be a bad thing.

There were two SQL Server drivers specified. It turns out one was for SQL Server 2000 and one for SQL Server 2005.  For reference here are the drivers:

2005: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
2000: com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver

Hope this helps you next time you get a conflict!

No comments: