Thursday, April 08, 2010

SAP IdM Training Continued

Still impressed with the training class. I’ve found it interesting how they’ve been able to give the class a good flavor of how NetWeaver IdM works. I think the folks in the class are getting a solid foundation in what the product can do. Everyone in the class is looking forward to working with the SAP Provisioning framework which is the emphasis of the last day of class.

I also received a nice tip today. Take a look at this new document from SAP (I believe it is a general access document)

An interesting discussion of reconciliation from an ERP context. Most people typically reconcile against an enterprise directory, but when working with an ERP system as the authoritative source, it makes sense to have a reconciliation process against this system as well.

It's also been interesting seeing the general improvements to the product. While I miss the ease of installation, speed and flexibility of NW IDM 7.0 (Not to mention MaXware Identity Center) the new version shows better scalability than ever before. Little tweaks like adjusting the attention dispatchers should give to different task types, to improved role / management handling and event handling. The interface is not terrible and the WebDynPro UI lacks the flexibility of the old PHP, but it is a heckuva lot more functional, particularly where mutli-valued attributes , roles and privileges are concerned.

After SailPoint training and some customer facing work (gotta earn some money!) I'll be looking forward to setting up a lab environment for the rest of the IdM team at CTI. Once that's done we'll be up to giving some demonstrations to clients and other interested parties.

Long time since I ran an IdM demo...

I'll be sure to comment on the SAP Provisioning Framework sometime over the weekend.


9 comments:

Vance said...

Looks like you are back to your roots! I'm real happy for you Matt!

Unknown said...

Hi there,

Thanks for the insight into IdM. I am looking to start skilling up on IdM and have a great deal of information from SDN (e.g. how to docs etc).

I come from a SAP background but want to understand what skills I need to skill up e.g. Java programming knowledge etc. As I notice from the documentation that the technicalities can go fairly deep.

Also, just documentation is not enough and am trying access some sort of test environment - do you have any leads on this?

Any help would be appreciated, you seem to be qualified to answer my questions. Great blog btw.

Regards
Ramon

Matt Pollicove said...

Ramon,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. Thanks for your feedback, glad you're enjoying the blog!

For SAP NW IdM knowledge of Java Script, LDAP (Particularly AD) and SQL (MSSQL / Oracle) is needed. Additional experience with SAP NetWeaver, Basis and general system architecture does not hurt either.

I agree, the documentation could be a lot better and it does assume that you have knowledge of the disciplines mentioned above.

SAP's training goes a long way towards acquainting you with what you need to know, but as I've indicated there's more work to do beyond that.

Matt

Ritesh Soni said...

Hi,

I am still confused.. why do we require IDM. I thought that IDM is a just a replacement of SAP CUA.

Now after installation of IDM. I dont know where to start with and what can i do as a security consultant with IDM Management console and UI

Could you please clarify ? WHy IDm ?


YOu can reply me on ritz2044@rediffmail.com

Matt Pollicove said...

Well Ritesh, The fact is that IDM offers workflow and connectivity that CUA cannot match. If you look at the presentations from last year's TechEd there's a nice presentation on the topic along with a recent SAP blog post as well.

User management in the Enterprise has to be about more than any one system, even one as broad as SAP.

vijay said...

Hi Matt,

I am very new to SAP IDM and as my projects demands a resource, my company is planning to move me to SAP IDM. But, as per their update there are no other resource who can support me .

Could you please suggest, what is the approach to be able to work on IDM to full fill my project requirement?

Matt Pollicove said...

Vijay,

I strongly recommend attending SAP IDM training, along with taking a look at the excellent tutorials supplied by SAP for IDM. They're pretty much based on real world use cases and can be manipulated to accommodate what your project requires. I'd also try to attend SAP TechEd as they give some fantastic learning sessions.

It's also a good idea when you're ready to start the project that you get some smart consulting talent that has IDM experienced pros. They'll help give you the benefit of their real world experience.

Hope this helps!

syed said...

Hi Matt,

Remember me on Linkedin, syed from UK, had some good discussion. Anyways glad you have started some training. I would to join your training if that is possible.

Look forward to hear from you.

Syed

Matt Pollicove said...

Syed, the training referenced in this article is given by SAP and is available world wide. Please contact your SAP representative for more information.

As always, thanks for reading/posting!