Monday, July 14, 2008

A Pundit's view on SaaS

I've loved reading John Dvorak for years. I haven't always agreed with him, but he has made me think. His latest article in PC Magazine fell right in with my recent thoughts on Software as a Service (SaaS).

His recent article, An Ode to Shrink Wrapped Software is something I think that anyone considering implementing IdM over SaaS should consider. Notably points 1, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

(Note on point 2, I'm all for compliance monitoring, but it should be on the organization's terms... not Big Brother's)

What it boils down to is , you have no control over the connection, some control over content, and no control over the back end. The pro-SaaS argument says these are all good things as they reduce infrastructure and workload for the client, and I'm even prepared to accept that. What I don't accept is lack of ownership and total control, which is most important where Identity Data is concerned.

No comments: