Saturday, July 08, 2006

Virtual Directory properties

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the Virtual Directory space. One of my colleagues, Matt F., has been doing a great job thinking about the uses of virtual directory technology.

I'm wondering if we can take this a step further and consider what is the base functionality of a virtual directory application. Certainly, we in the IdM world know that it is not a web server's presentation of a file container. :-)

I'll be thinking more on this in the coming days and see what comes of it.

What should be the characteristics of a Virtual Directory?

What functionality should an application have to be considered a true Virtual Directory?

To some extent these things are a matter of opinion, but I'm wondering what you think.

No comments: